Sunday, January 24, 2010

Perfection

I had the wonderful opportunity to go on my first youth temple trip as a leader yesterday. It was wonderful to see those girls coming out of the font and wrap them in towels and feel the beautiful spirit that was there, but the most profound thing was what I was able to witness while one of the girls was in the font.

One of the girls in our ward has special needs, and was doing baptisms for the first time. She wasn't sure what to do when she got in the font, and was very clumsy. Sometimes she had to do the baptism twice, and it was very difficult at times. The next girl who stepped into the font did it perfectly. Here's what stood out to me:

It doesn't matter how clumsy we are, how difficult it is for us to do things, our efforts still count. The people the first girl was baptized for will be just as grateful as the people the second girl was.

Sometimes in my life, I feel like I'm so clumsily making my way through things, and like that means I'm not good enough, but the real blessing is in the atonement, and the fact that it makes any clumsy effort good enough.

1 comment:

Mama D said...

Awesome insight!! I'm so glad you had this experience - and that you shared it. I need to be reminded that my clumsy efforts are good enough, thanks to our Savior.