Thursday, January 12, 2012

I can do hard things.

Sometimes being a mom of two tiny ones is the hardest thing I've ever done. Strike that. Being a mom of two tiny ones is, without a doubt, the hardest thing I've ever done. Hard isn't always bad, per se, it's just, well, you know, hard. (I think there might be too many commas in that sentence.)

Sometimes it feels like the whole world is spinning around me and I can't even have a second to clear my head. Sometimes it feels like there's so much screaming going on in this house that it will never be quiet again. (This is a result of having two children who are not capable of talking.)

James has taken to loving a new game. Not really a game, but something we do together. I hold him in my arms, with his legs around my waist, and we spin. Fast. He lies back, closes his eyes, and then he laughs. I change directions, and he laughs harder. Well, I noticed something when I was doing this the other day. The whole world was spinning. Fast. All I could see clearly was that sweet little boy's face-laughing with me. For a split-second, I was carried away into a world where no matter how fast everything was spinning, all that existed was my little boy and me.

Laughing.

I guess the only real difference between that moment and every other crazy second is that I took a moment to focus on what was right in front of me.

And who wouldn't feel some peace in the crazy world while looking at something as precious as that face?

5 comments:

Amber and Dallin said...

I loved your post. What a cute family you have. Now how old are your two little ones? That must be hectic but they are adorable and it looks like you must be doing a good job. Thanks for the reminder to look at what's right in front of me.

Unknown said...

You are seriously doing a great job with those boys and I look at you as an example that all will be ok when my 2nd one gets here. Hard, but ok. Like you said :-)What a cute guy James is!

Loni said...

awe this is so sweet. you are an amazing mama. I dont know how you do it and stay sane with two. youre wonderwoman.

Katrina said...

Who, indeed.

natalie said...

Agreed. Motherhood (although I have yet to experience it two-fold) is HARD. However, I have frequently found myself in tears blubbering about how much I love my little girl and how there is no way I would rather be doing anything else. My friend showed me this blog post the other day http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/04/2011-lesson-2-dont-carpe-diem/
I thought it was interesting. Let me know what you think.